Philanthropy CA taps into the deep regional expertise and connections of funders to increase philanthropy’s impact in building and sustaining thriving, equitable communities. Together, we can impact our members, the nonprofits they support and the communities they serve.
- Collaborate on joint programming with national affinity group Grantmakers for Effective Organizations to combine our deep regional expertise with their knowledge of national best practices.
- Lead a statewide project to increase the number of grantmakers committed to funding all aspects of a nonprofit’s operations.
- Advocate on statewide legislative bills and actions impacting nonprofits and philanthropy. So far, we have:
- Supported AB 1348 to establish a federal grants administrator in governor’s office. The bill was signed into law by the governor in late September.
- Supported a request to state legislative leaders to create a Joint Committee on the Nonprofit Sector (initiated by CalNonprofits). Discussions continue as the new legislative session recently re-started on December 5, 2016.
- Opposed AB 2955 (Frazier), the “Nonprofit Warning Label Bill,” which would have imposed overly burdensome nonprofit regulations and perpetuated the overhead myth. The bill died in the Assembly Appropriations Committee due to our combined advocacy efforts.
- Coordinate statewide communications to ensure a more prominent statewide voice for the philanthropic sector on matters of shared concern.